Born in Saskatchewan during the Depression, Charles Juravinski’s family moved to Hamilton in 1942.
From the mid-to-late 1950’s he worked in construction and then was co-founder of a Dundas based construction company.
After that venture closed, Charles and former Ontario PC cabinet minister Ray Connell opened the standardbred racetrack Flamboro Downs in Dundas in 1975. He managed this very successful facility for almost three decades, before selling it in 2003.
Flamboro’s prestigious event is the Confederation Cup and it has welcomed some of the greatest horses in standardbred history.
Charles, as an owner, was connected with many outstanding horses, including Hall of Famers Matts Scooter and the great mare Ellamony.
Following his retirement, Charles and his wife Margaret, have made considerable endowments to the City of Hamilton and McMaster University, permitting the establishment of a new state-of-the-art cancer care facility at the former Henderson General Hospital, now the Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre. The Juravinski’s philanthropic endeavours contribute to health care in our area through Hamilton Health Sciences, St. Joseph Foundation, St. Peter Foundation, St. Joseph Villa Foundation, McMaster University and others. Charles and Margaret are extremely passionate about their ‘People-oriented’ help charities.